Mindfulness has grown in popularity over the last decade. It has been developed and practiced over thousands of years. More recently its benefits have been supported by scientific research on “the brains ability to change”. It is a state of mind that is easy, convenient and it works. Recent scientific research into neuroplasticity has found that it has the ability to change the brain.
What is Mindfulness?
It is a state of awareness. It can help you to calm do as well as helping you to be more receptive, rather than reactive. Mindfulness helps you to slow down and be in the present, as well as:
- Focusing attention
- Limiting self-sabotaging behaviours
- Strengthening resilience
- Enhancing enjoyment of everyday life
What are the health benefits?
People who have a regular practice of mindfulness meditation have been found in research to experience health benefits which include:
- Improvement in cognitive function
- Reduced anxiety and stress
- Improved sleep
- Improved management of addiction
- Improved self regulation and a flexible mind
- Enhanced sports performance
- Better pain management
- Increased coping with major illness including cancer
- Improved genetic function and repair
- Enhanced immune response
- Reduced blood pressure
- Enhanced creativity
- Better acceptance of self
In weight loss it can help to:
- Raise awareness of the body and what it needs
- Slow down eating
- Enjoy food more
- Become aware of thought and emotions relating to food
- Help with conscious food choices
What is mindfulness meditation?
Regular mindfulness meditation practice helps to manage stress and bring about enhanced mental and physical benefits. It raises awareness in finding more balance and inner peace. Mindfulness has been shown to be beneficial for athletic performance. It can even help you to be a better person. Despite all of its benefits for health and wellbeing, one of its most rewarding benefits is the art of getting to know yourself better.
Janne Ramsay is a Naturopath at Mr Vitamins Wellbeing Clinic. She has trained at the Gawler Institute in Mindfulness Meditation. She runs regular workshops on the Gut Connection and managing Osteoarthritis. Janne understands the importance of relaxation and its impact on health and wellbeing. To find out how easy it is to include mindfulness into your day-to-day and improve your health outcomes, then make an appointment to see Janne.
For a Naturopathic consultation: BOOK HERE