Rooibos or Red Bush Tea is a traditional drink in South African where it is grown and the tea produced. This tea is rich in antioxidants and minerals. Rooibos has no caffeine and is non-acidic; making is a great substitute for caffeinated beverages like coffee. It has been used for hundreds of years for both its amazing health benefits and because it tastes great. Here are some great reasons to love Rooibos:
- Cancer fighting antioxidants. This tea contains the polyphenols Aspalathin and Nothofagin, powerful antioxidants that help prevent cellular damage from free radicals that can cause cancer, aging and disease. These cancer-fighting antioxidants are found only in Rooibos Tea and New Zealand Red Beech.
- High in minerals. Rooibos tea contains many essential minerals such as calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, copper and iron. This tea has the perfect mix calcium and magnesium for optimal absorption by the body. These minerals are especially good for bones, teeth and the nervous system. Zinc helps support your immune system and iron helps promote healthy blood and oxygen distribution.
- Calms the Stomach. Rooibos tea contains the Quercertin. This antioxidant has anti-inflammatory abilities that help calm muscle spasms and ease digestion.
- Heart Healthy. Rooibos tea contains another potent antioxidant known as Chysoeriol. This flavonoid helps fight enzymes that contribute to cardiovascular disease. It also helps improve circulation, fight inflammation and may even lower blood pressure.
- Caffeine free. This tea not only tastes great but also has no caffeine unlike coffee and black tea. Rooibos tea can be consumed safely by people with caffeine sensitivities and by children.
- Promotes restful sleep. Rooibos tea has vitamins and minerals that help calm the body and minimize restless leg syndrome making it a prefect bedtime drink.
Adding Rooibos tea to your diet is as easy as boiling water!
Rooibos tea can be brewed in the same manner as most teas using hot water.
- Use 1 tsp. Rooibos tea to 8 ounces of boiling water. Steep for 5 – 8 minutes.
Once brewed it can be mixed with milk & a healthy sweetener such as stevia or try it with lemon & honey.
‘Ask a naturopath’ for more information about the health benefits of Rooibos tea.