Hair loss and poor hair condition in Western medicine is attributed to a variety of causes including hormonal imbalance, autoimmune disorders, side effects of medication and nutritional deficiencies. However, Chinese medicine has a different and very useful insight into helping hair loss and hair growth.
The Chinese approach to Hair Loss
According to Chinese medicine, hair health depends on proper functioning of the Kidney and Liver organ-meridian systems. By replenishing your Kidney and Liver energy, and nourishing the Blood, you can help to reactivate hair follicles and promote healthy hair.
Blood tonic herbs nourish the blood and activate the circulation to reinvigorate the hair follicle. Also important, are herbs that support the Kidney energy and replenish Jing to promote healthy hair growth. Herbs that support the Kidney often also help to regulate hormonal imbalances that can lead to hair thinning, hair loss or premature greying.
Mr Vitamins recommends…
FUSION Health Hair Tonic includes the following herbs – designed as a special formula because of the synergy in how they work together to help healthy hair growth.
- Fallopia multiflora (He Shu Wu) is a primary herb for nourishing Blood, invigorating hair growth and inhibiting premature greying. In Chinese medicine, this herb tonifies both the Liver and Kidney, nourishes the Liver Blood and strengthens Kidney essence (Jing) to support hair follicle function and development of healthy hair. Research has shown that it inhibits DHT (the potent form of testosterone) and may therefore be a useful treatment for androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness, which affects both men and women).
- Paeonia lactiflora (White Peony) nourishes the Blood. It can also modulate hormones, particularly androgens (related to male and female pattern baldness).
- Angelica polymorpha (Dong Quai) is a renowned Blood tonic that invigorates the Blood and harmonises the relationship between the Liver and Kidney. Research has found that it may improve blood iron levels, supporting its traditional use as a Blood builder.
- Rehmannia glutinosa (Chinese Foxglove) tonifies the Liver. This herb has been widely researched and found to stimulate the immune system, protect the kidneys and improve skin conditions such as dermatitis (which can be implicated in cases of poor hair condition or hair loss).
- Ligusticum wallichii (Sichuan Lovage) is an important Blood nourishing herb that inhibits stagnation and enhances the flow of both Blood and Qi (vital energy).
The Chinese herbs mentioned above can successfully restore hair growth, improving texture, colour and volume; and are suitable for all hair types and colours in men, women and children.
FUSION Health® Hair Tonic combines well with FUSION Health® Multi Vitamin & Mineral Advanced to boost your essential vitamin and mineral intake and ensure that all the essential nutrients required for hair growth are available in adequate amounts.
Find out more and shop online for these Fusion Health supplements below:
- Hair Tonic – Combines Phytofol® with other ingredients traditionally used to promote healthy hair growth. May aid in the management of alopecia (hair loss) and general thinning of the hair.
- Hair, Skin & Nails has been specially formulated to provide nutrients that promote healthy hair growth, nourish the nails and support skin health.
As always, whatever questions or concerns you have regarding herbal supplements for Hair, all you have to do is drop by Mr Vitamins and ‘Ask a Naturopath’.