We know is that we are exposed to cocktails of toxins on a daily basis.
There is a lot of media hype and a myriad of detoxification products being introduced to the market on a daily basis.
Enough to cause confusion on what is best and enough to gain criticism from mainstream medicine.
There is very little research on the real benefits of detoxification , hence the confusion we often read about. But experience has showed that reducing toxins from your lifestyle and from your body can improve your health. How much and to what extent is still to be explored.
So what are environment toxins?
An environmental toxin is any chemical that is hazardous and poisonous to humans and your environment. In some way, toxins affect everyone and they can be found in all human tissue, even breast milk and ambilical cord blood.
Environmental toxins can be subdivided into different groups:
- EDC’s (Endocrine disrupting chemicals) – chemicals that can interfere with hormone action effecting your health by altering endocrine function. They have been linked to obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, reproductive health, healthy fetal development, osteoporosis, metabolic disorders, immune disorders, cancer, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and learning difficulties. Sources are everywhere, including pesticides, cosmetics, personal care products and electronics.
- POP’s (Persistent Organic Pollutants) – are toxic chemicals that can be transported by wind and water to all parts of the world. They can have an adverse affect on human, wildlife and environmental health. Because they persist over long periods of time they can accumulate and get into our food chain where they can magnify millions of times. The most commonly known POP’s are DDT, PCBs and dioxins. They have been linked to cardiovascular disease, diabetes, abnormal liver function, obesity and some cancers.
- EMF’s (Electric and magnetic fields) – unable to be seen they are lines of force that are emitted by any wireless and electrical device including mobile phones, cordless phones, powerlines, lights and any Wi-Fi or wireless device. They can cause tiredness, behavioural and sleep problems, immune disorders, digestive issues, headaches, forgetfulness, chronic fatigue and leukaemia.
- Heavy Metals – including lead, mercury, cadmium and arsenic. Exposure to these varies from air and water quality, the soil our food is grown in, cigarette smoke and mercury fillings. They can cause kidney problems, cancer, cardiovascular disease, behavioural problems and osteoporosis.
- Nuclear Radiation – exposure can come from waste, weapons, power, transport and mining. The full extent of the, Tsunami damage to the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power facility in March 2011 is still unknown.
What can you do about it?
We know that there is no way we can avoid exposure to environmental toxins. But what you can do is improve your digestion, see 5 ways to improve digestion, a gentle detox program, some ideas are included in So you think you need a detox and some ongoing and simple dietary and lifestyle changes that can reduce your toxic exposure.
Find out how your digestion impacts your health… every day!
Join Mr Vitamins’ Naturopath Janne Ramsay as she takes you through an informative and fun presentation on the basics of detox and healthy digestion. Janne is passionate about helping people find ways that they can achieve healthier, cleaner living…….