Supporting natural processes of detoxification
In order to encourage the movement of stagnant toxins from your system during your detoxification program, a number of dietary changes, along with the consumption of liver and digestive support herbs and nutrients are recommended.
Interestingly, not only will these cleansing changes help to rid your body of toxins currently residing in its tissues, they will also help to limit side effects experienced as they leave your body.
The following herbs and nutrients are recommended to support the liver in its removal of toxins from the body:
- Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum) – has a dual effect in the liver, firstly by working to support processes of detoxification, and secondly by assisting in the regeneration of new, healthy liver cells.
- Brindleberry (Garcinia quaesita) & Chromium – both help to balance blood sugar levels, leading to a reduction in sugar cravings (a plus for any sugar addict wishing to undertake a detox program).
- B Vitamins – provide support for the conversion of carbohydrates (like breads and pasta) into energy. B vitamins are often deficient in people with high sugar diets, as the more sugar you eat, the more B vitamins you need to convert this sugar into energy. Vitamins B1, B2 and B3 are also involved in various detoxification pathways in the liver.
- Taurine – is also necessary to support the breakdown of toxins, such as alcohol.
The benefit of a healthy bowel
The healthy of your bowel is vital as it works to support the removal of waste products from your body. In order to perform this function, the bowel relies on two key nutrients – fibre and water. Without adequate fibre, waste products are not bulky enough to be pushed through the bowel. Without adequate hydration, fibre becomes lodged in the bowel, leading to constipation, and in some cases the re-absorption of toxic nutrients back into the body.
During a detox, restoring the health and elimination ability of the bowel should be a major focus.
Nutrients and herbs to support a healthy bowel
- Cascara segrada (Frangula purshiana) – known as a stimulating laxative, Cascara segrada works to support the muscles in the lining of your digestive tract push waste products through your bowel.
- Flaxseed powder, Pectin & Psyllium husk powder – both sources of soluble fibre, Flaxseed and Psyllium are known as bulking laxatives, as they work to ‘bulk’ the stool. As an added benefit, Psyllium works to ‘brush’ clean the walls of the intestines, acting as a broom for your digestive tract. Pectin is also a well known soluble fibre known for soothing the gut, and is sourced from the skins of apples.
- Glutamine – this beneficial amino acid works as a tissue healer to support the healing of digestive tissues damaged by poor diets. Most remarkably, glutamine is used for healing a leaky gut that in susceptible individuals can be caused by consuming high allergy foods, such as dairy and wheat.
- Ginger – known for its warming properties, Ginger reduces spasms in the digestive tract, and as an added bonus, is also beneficial for reducing nausea (which for some can accompany withdrawals from caffeine and sugar).
Nutra-Life Detox & Cleanse
Formulated for total digestive and liver health, Detox & Cleanse contains herbs and nutrients beneficial for the cleansing and detoxification of your liver, stomach, small and large intestines. Easy-to-take, this programme combines 3 capsules daily with a 15g serve of natural blackcurrant flavoured powder.