It’s coming up to summer, which means shorter shorts and bronzed skin. While time in the sun is essential for maintaining adequate Vitamin D levels, there is another way to achieve that summer glow without burning or using chemical filled self -tanning solutions.
Natural Self Tanning Solutions
Not all self tanning solutions contain long lists of nasty chemicals. Natural self tanning products include ingredients such as:
- Plant extracts – Aloe Vera, Cacao, Grape Skin
- Vegetable oils – Avocado, Macadamia
- Essential Oils – Rose Geranium, Chamomile, CItrus
Being natural, these products are free from:
- Orange or Synthetic dyes
- Synthetic ingredients
- Fake tan smell
Skin preparation before applying self tanning products
Proper skin preparation before applying is essential for an even natural looking tan. Exfoliation, either through dry brushing or otherwise the night before applying a self tanning product is best as the sloughing off of dead skin promotes an even tan but allows for enough skin growth overnight for the self tanning product to adhere to.
Other benefits of exfoliation include:
- Firmer skin due to stimulation increasing blood flow and circulation to the area.
- Detoxification, your skin is your largest organ and dry brushing removes dead skin allowing the skin to release impurities
- Glowing healthy skin!
What else can I do to promote healthy glowing summer skin?
- Stay hydrated, proper hydration is essential for plump youthful skin. Hydrating your skin is easy through a proper diet, make sure to include lots of hydrating foods in your diet this summer, such as: watermelon, cucumber, and tomatoes.
- Eat a diet full of antioxidant rich foods. Foods such as berries are essential for youthful glowing skin as they contain potent antioxidants to combat the effects of environmental toxins, processed foods and harmful UVB rays.
Mr Vitamins Recommends:
Ashley is a qualified Nutritionist ( Bachelor of Health Science (Nut Med) passionate about home cooking and healing through wholefoods. Her special interests include disorders of the skin and childrens health, including fussy eaters!