Zizyphus (Zizyphus jujube var. spinosa) also known as Chinese red date seed, is an herb used in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) for its mild sedative action and calming effect on the nerves and mind. From a Chinese medicine perspective, Zizyphus nourishes the heart and calms the shen (spirit), thus assisting with symptoms of ‘shen disturbance’ like irritability, insomnia or shallow sleep with a tendency to wake easily.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine Zizyphus can be used for palpitations with anxiety and insomnia from deficient heart blood and deficient Llver Yin
The calming effect of zizyphus is believed to be especially beneficial for women and is used in TCM to relieve irritability, night sweats or spontaneous sweating, which are frustrating symptoms associated with the onset of menopause.
Zizyphus sleep formulas are available from Mr Vitamins and are often combined with lactium and other sedative herbs.
Another reason Zizyphus is popular as a sedative is its relatively low toxicity when taken orally and because there are no side effects.
Some pharmacology assessments of the zizyphus seed oil and zizyphus extract even imply that with prolonged use they can reduce serum triglycerides and LDL cholesterol and reduce fatty degeneration of the liver.
- Nutralife Magnesium Sleep 30CAU $15.95 As low as AU $15.65With this product, you earn 16 loyalty points.
- Nutralife Magnesium Sleep 60CAU $23.95 As low as AU $23.32With this product, you earn 24 loyalty points.
- Herbs Of Gold Menopause Relief 60TAU $29.95 As low as AU $28.32With this product, you earn 30 loyalty points.
- Caruso's Sleep More 30TAU $28.95 As low as AU $28.65With this product, you earn 29 loyalty points.
- Herbs Of Gold Sleep Ease 60CAU $32.95 As low as AU $31.65With this product, you earn 33 loyalty points.
- Herbs Of Gold Sleep Ease 30CAU $19.95 As low as AU $18.32With this product, you earn 20 loyalty points.