St Mary's Thistle
Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) also known as St Mary’s thistle is native to southern Europe, southern Russia, Asia Minor, and northern Africa. Historically, people have used milk thistle for liver disorders, such as hepatitis and cirrhosis, and gallbladder problems. It contains the flavonoid silymarin, which is thought to be responsible for many of its beneficial effects, including liver protection and antioxidant, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties.
Silymarin, is a group of compounds (silibinin, silidianin and silicristin), which work together to provide multiple health benefits.
Milk thistle liver benefits include its ability to aid normal liver function and may help protect liver cells. It has antioxidant activity. It also supports regeneration of liver cells.
The antioxidant actions of Milk thistle’s constituents silymarin and silybin, are known to help protect the liver from toxins, including the effects of alcohol. Not only has silymarin been found to increase glutathione (a powerful antioxidant that is crucial for liver detoxification), but it also may help to regenerate liver cells.
Not only is silymarin used to treat alcoholic liver disease, acute and chronic viral hepatitis and toxin-induced liver diseases, but this powerful compound has been shown in animal studies to reduce liver injury caused by a number of drugs and environmental toxins,
Milk thistle also has potential anti-cancer and anti-diabetes benefits and supports kidney, brain and heart health.
Milk thistle supplements are available as milk thistle tablets, capsules and as a liquid milk thistle extract. Milk thistle dosage will depend on the person and the presenting ailment.
Items 1-12 of 18
- Thompson's One-A-Day Milk Thistle 42000 60CAU $17.95 As low as AU $14.95With this product, you earn 18 loyalty points.
- Caruso's Blood Sugar Balance 60TAU $28.95 As low as AU $28.65With this product, you earn 29 loyalty points.Caruso's Blood Sugar Balance 60T incorporates ingredients which not only aid in reducing sugar cravings and support the metabolism of sugar but ingredients which may also aid in supporting the function of the liver, the major organ responsible for blood sugar balance. Contains a nutritional eating plan for sugar detox. View details
- Flordis Legalon for Liver Health (Milk Thistle) 60CAU $34.95 As low as AU $34.32With this product, you earn 35 loyalty points.Legalon® (MZ 80) has been shown to help maintain healthy liver function.1-3 Legalon contains the patented extract of Silybum marianum (Milk thistle) that was developed by the German herbal medicine manufacturer Madaus in 1968. It is a benchmark product and the majority of published clinical research on silymarin has used Legalon. View details
- Caruso's Super Liver Detox 300MLAU $21.95 As low as AU $21.65With this product, you earn 22 loyalty points.
- Nutrition Care Silymarin 60T (Retail Range)AU $26.95 As low as AU $25.98With this product, you earn 27 loyalty points.
- Nature's Sunshine St Mary's Thistle 100CAU $26.95 As low as AU $26.65With this product, you earn 27 loyalty points.St Mary's thistle is one of the most widely studied herbs in Western Herbalism. Also known as Milk thistle, it has a long history of traditional use. St Mary's thistle provides nourishment and support to the liver, an organ that performs over 500-plus functions and is important in detoxification and metabolism. St Mary's thistle contains the flavanolignans silybin, silychristin and silydianin which are collectively known as silymarin. View details