St John’s Wort
St John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum) has been traditionally used in western herbal medicine for mild anxiety, nervous restlessness, mood imbalance, tiredness, loss of appetite and trouble sleeping. It’s also can be used to treat heart palpitations, moodiness, the symptoms of attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and symptoms of menopause and PMS.
Many studies show that St John’s wort supplements may help fight mild to moderate depression and anxiety and has fewer side effects than most other prescription antidepressants.
The flowers are used to make St john’s oil, liquid extracts, pills, and teas. People have been using St. John’s wort for centuries. St John’s wort is so named because the plant opens its yellow flowers in the northern hemisphere around the feast day of St John the Baptist in late June. Wort is an old English word for plant.
St John’s wort anxiety treatment doesn’t require a prescription and you can buy it over the counter. When choosing a St John’s wort supplement, it’s important to look for a standardised extract that contains the biologically active substances hypericin and hyperforin, which have the greatest medicinal activity. St John’s wort dosage can range from 900mg,1800mg to 3,6000mg per day.
In Australia, St John’s wort is freely available, but preparations are regulated by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), which has warned that the strength of active ingredients may vary between preparations and that drug interactions are also possible with other medicines.
Some of the drugs that St John’s wort interacts with include:
- HIV medicines;
- medicines that modify the immune system that are often used in people who have had organ transplants (e.g. cyclosporin, tacrolimus);
- warfarin (a blood thinning agent);
- certain medicines used in the treatment of heart disease (e.g. digoxin, nifedipine, verapamil);
- certain cholesterol-lowering medicines (e.g. atorvastatin, simvastatin);
- some medicines for type 2 diabetes (e.g. gliclazide);
- anticonvulsants used in the treatment of epilepsy;
- the contraceptive pill; and
- migraine treatments.
- Flordis Remotiv for Stress Relief (St John's Wort) 60TAU $31.56With this product, you earn 32 loyalty points.
- Nature's Sunshine St John's Wort with Passionflower 100CAU $39.95 As low as AU $39.32With this product, you earn 40 loyalty points.St John's wort has been used medicinally since ancient Greek times. The name St John's wort is related to its yellow flowers, traditionally gathered for the feast of St John the Baptist and the term 'wort' is the old English word for plant. St John's wort helps to relieve anxiety, nervous unrest, restlessness, irritability, and sleeplessness. Passionflower is included to support the sedative and relaxant properties of St John's wort. View details
- Ethical Nutrients Clinical Strength St John's Wort 60CAU $22.95 As low as AU $22.65With this product, you earn 23 loyalty points.
- Thompson's One-A-Day St Johns Wort 4000 60TAU $25.95 As low as AU $24.98With this product, you earn 26 loyalty points.
- Herbs Of Gold Extra Strength St John's Wort 3600 30TAU $15.95 As low as AU $15.32With this product, you earn 16 loyalty points.
- Herbs Of Gold Extra Strength St John's Wort 3600 60TAU $25.95 As low as AU $24.98With this product, you earn 26 loyalty points.