What is EMF?EMF stands for electromagnetic field, invisible electrical and magnetic forces. Everything creates an electromagnetic field. Planet Earth creates one, as does the human body. Artificial electromagnetic fields are caused by anything from household appliances to cell phones and they have been shown to cause harmful biological stress. Magnetic fields are the part of electromagnetic fields (EMFs) that penetrate concrete, steel and also the human body. This makes them very useful for x-rays but when exposure occurs on a daily basis, they can have a serious impact on your health.
What are some EMF side effects?Widely published, peer reviewed scientific studies document the many effects of high EMF exposure levels.
- Studies have shown EMF exposure above 2 mG will start to cause biological stress
- Exposure to 12 mG will suppress the human hormone melatonin, vital for sleep and mood regulation
- High EMFs can cause health problems from fatigue and anxiety to brain tumours to chronic diseases like cancer
EMF Danger Spots In Your HomeMagnetic fields are measured in milliGauss (mG). One milliGauss is 1/1000 of a Gauss. For safety, the US Environmental Protection Agency recommends you limit your magnetic field exposure to 0.5 mG- 2.5mG.
Keep your distance!EMFs are strongest at 2-3 feet or closer. Limit the time you spend around your home’s electrical appliances. Place all mobile phones, clocks, cordless phones and other electrical devices at least 2 metres from where you sleep.
Watch out for these!
- Air Conditioners- The older the unit, the higher the EMF radiation.
- Under-Floor Electrical Heating - EMFs can reach 100+ mG at the floor and 30+ mG at waist height.
- Fluorescent Lighting
- Halogen lights - These lights require a transformer that can transmit EMF upward as well as downward.
- Electric Sockets – if it’s plugged into a wall socket, it gives off an electromagnetic field (EMF) even if the appliance is turned off.
- Cordless Phones emit twice as much EMF as cell phone masts!
- TVs & Computers
The Dangers Of EMFs In Your BedroomBedroom EMFs (especially in the area of your head) should remain under 1mG while sleeping and never exceed 2-4 mG.
- Electric Blankets and Water Beds - major EMF sources, dangerous because of the amount of time spent with them while sleeping
- Electric Clocks – next to your head could be emitting a magnetic field of 5 to 10mG—even up to a metre away—the EMF equivalent of an electric power line!
- Hair Dryers - can emit EMFs as high as 200 to 400 mG when turned on. Experts recommend hair dryers should not be used on children, because fields such as this can damage rapidly developing brain and young nervous systems.