Acne can be treated naturally without the use of harsh drugs or topical chemicals. Acne is a common skin condition that creates small red inflamed bumps or cysts under the skin. This condition affects both men and women. Acne generally occurs during adolescence and then may reoccur during adult years. Clogged pores are the most typical cause of acne. Blemish free skin starts with a good diet and ends with natural products that help eliminate the bacteria that cause pores to become infected.
- A healthy diet is essential for healthy skin. Make sure your diet includes plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains and fish. These foods supply many skin friendly vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin’s A, E, and calcium along with essential fatty acids from fish. Choose organic whenever possible. Cut back on foods like: white sugar, white flour, fried foods, processed foods, red meat and diary.
- Add water. This is the single most overlooked dietary change for better health. Your body is made up of over fifty percent water making it essential for a health. The skin is your body’s largest organ of elimination. If your body does not get enough water it cannot eliminate toxins and when toxins build in your body they come out in the skin. Adults should consume at least 2 litres of water per day for proper hydration. Caffeine and soda can cause your body to eliminate water. Cut back on your consumption of these liquids.
- Apple cider vinegar. Adding two to three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a litre of water daily can help your body eliminate toxins so they don’t show up in your skin. Choose organic un-pasteurized apple cider vinegar for the best results.
- Skin care. Practicing a good skin care routine can help you have clearer skin. Harsh soaps and hot water can dry out skin and cause it to produce more oil, which in turn can clog pores. Use a mild facial cleanser, warm water and a soft cloth to clean your skin. Avoid scrubbing your skin as this can irritate it further. Try washing your face only once or twice per day and blot it dry gently. Use non-comedogenic (won’t clog pores) moisturisers if needed.
Natural topical acne solutions
- Australian Tea Tree essential oil. This essential oil is anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial making it a great choice to heal and prevent acne. To use, apply a few drops to a cotton swab and lightly dab blemishes. Allow oil to dry on skin. Do not use on large areas of your body and discontinue if irritation or rash occurs. Always use 100% pure essential oils.
- Apple cider vinegar.Yes, this natural apple product can be used topically as well. To use make a solution of one tablespoon of vinegar to one cup of water. Use a cotton ball and apply to affected areas. Wait 10 minutes then rinse with warm water and blot dry. Apple cider vinegar reduces inflammation and kills the bacteria that can create acne.
- Marine Clay. See our article on how Marine Clay can help acne skin conditions here