- Reverse or reduce the risk of all cardiovascular conditions Avocados have been shown in numerous studies to reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels due to the beneficial fats. In addition, berries have been proven to reduce oxidative damage to lipoproteins, thus reducing risk of cardiovascular conditions.
- Absorb more nutrients Due to the rich fat content in avocado it makes it easier for our bodies to be able to absorb and utilize the fat soluble vitamins: vitamins A, D, E, & K.
- Prevent risk of cancer Numerous studies have shown that both avocados and certain berries have the potential to dramatically reduce risk of cancers because of the fruits potential to inhibit cancer cell growth and reduce free radicals. It is believed that blueberries contain the highest concentration of antioxidants compared to all other common fruits and vegetables.
- Maintain brain function and improve memory Because of the high levels of antioxidants in berries and avocado, these antioxidants can improve cell signaling, therefore, reducing risk of cognitive impairments while also improving memory.
- Reduce symptoms of arthritis Avocado is definitely the fruit you need to turn to if you have arthritis or any other inflammatory condition! These fruits are packed full of all the essential fats you need to drive down inflammatory pathways.
- Weight loss Not only does this salad taste so delicious it will also help you to lose weight! Berries are very low in sugar and the good fats and fiber content in avocado will help you feel much fuller and satisfied for longer!
Berry fruit salad with mint dressing
- 1 avocado
- 6 medium strawberries
- 1 large handful of berries
- 1 tbsp of raw honey (you can also use stevia, rice malt syrup or coconut necter)
- 2 tbsp mint – finely chopped
- 1 lemon –juiced
- Dice the avocado and strawberries into bite size squares and gently mix with the blueberries. In a separate bowl, mix together the honey, mint and lemon juice and very gently mix it through the fruit.
- You may even like to use additional fruit such as raspberries, bananas, pineapple, peaches, watermelon… and the list goes on. It´s summer and the season for wonderful tropical fruits so get creative!
By Tiaan Alisha – Naturopath